A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Amnesty Bill Under The Microscope

Cross posted from CommonSenseAmerica, written by Christi

We may be watching the slow and painful death of the asinine amnesty bill our lovely Senators tried to sail under the radar of the American public.

Forbes reports:

Hopes for a quick compromise on immigration were dealt a blow Tuesday after House Speaker Dennis Hastert said he wanted to take a "long look" at a Senate bill offering possible citizenship to millions of illegal immigrants.

Hastert said hearings on the Senate bill should be held before appointing anyone to a House-Senate committee to negotiate a compromise immigration bill. Later, he said he was unsure what the House's next move would be.

"We're going to take a long look at it," Hastert said late Tuesday.
A "long look" at this bill will reveal exactly what its opponents have been saying all along:

Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama:
I will tell you, and I will say it plainly, and others may not, but this legislation fails miserably in that regard. It is unworthy of the Senate. It should never pass, it should never become the law of the United States of America. It does not meet our highest ideals. It does not create a system that is consistent with the national interest of the United States.
House Representative Charlie Norwood of Georgia:
"This bill constitutes treachery against U.S. sovereignty," says Norwood. "This allows every illegal alien in America to use the fraudulent document industry they have created in the criminal back alleys of our country to claim they have been here 5 years and can now stay forever. They have granted blanket amnesty for citizens of foreign nations against tax fraud, Social Security fraud, Medicare fraud, identity fraud, and bank fraud - all crimes for which there is no forgiveness or mercy for citizens of the United States."
Senator John Cornyn of Texas:
"I remain committed to comprehensive reform, but I cannot support a deeply flawed bill."
Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa:
"I was burned once in 1986 when I voted for amnesty believing that it would solve our problems. Now, we have a 12 million illegal immigrant problem. I'm not getting burned again," Grassley said. "Not only do we have a glide path to citizenship, but it's a glide path with plenty of loopholes that don't meet the common sense test."
You can read Senator Grassley's Top 10 Flaws with Amnesty and Guest Worker of Comprehensive Immigration here.

It appears that if our elected officials actually take a "long look" at this bill, it will result in the death of this ridiculous piece of legislation which gives the illegal immigrant more rights and benefits than the legal immigrant and the American citizen.

**This was a production of The Coalition Against Illegal Immigration (CAII). If you would like to participate, please go to the above link to learn more. Afterwards, email the coalition and let me know at what level you would like to participate.**

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,