A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Good Luck!

AP: Mass. Gay Marriage Foes May Get on Ballot---

BOSTON - Backers of a proposed constitutional amendment to put a stop to gay marriage in Massachusetts said Tuesday they have gathered almost twice the number of signatures needed to put it on the ballot in 2008.

Beyond the signatures, the proposal needs to be approved by two successive sessions of the state Legislature before it can be placed before voters.

The Massachusetts Family Institute and its online counterpart, http://www.voteonmarriage.org, said they will submit over 120,000 signatures before Wednesday's 5 p.m. deadline. The measure needed the support of 65,825 registered voters.

The proposed amendment seeks to undo a 2003 ruling by Massachusetts' highest court that said gays are entitled to marry. In May 2004, the nation's first state-sanctioned gay marriages began taking place, and thousands of same-sex couples have since tied the knot.

The Massachusetts Republican Party and Gov. Mitt Romney, a Republican and potential 2008 presidential candidate, also supported the petition drive.