A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Pattern of Behavior Indicates Otherwise

IMDB.com: Clooney Denies Bush Attack in New Film---

Hollywood star George Clooney has rubbished claims his latest movie is a veiled attack on President George W Bush - but refuses to apologize for the film's politically sensitive themes. Syriana - a political thriller focusing on the oil industry - has sparked controversy for its sympathetic portrayal of two Pakistani boys who become suicide bombers, but Clooney is adamant their story must be told. And he is disgusted by claims the film, in which he plays a CIA agent, singles out George Bush for criticism, arguing it is an attack on "the system" rather than a particular person.

He says, "There are going to be people who will be very angry at the idea that we took a couple of suicide bombers and showed how they could be formed, instead of just categorizing them as evil. I'm an old-time liberal and I don't apologize for it. With Syriana we're going to get beaten up politically in some places. Fair enough, because we've taken a stand. It is not an attack on the Bush administration but it is an attack on the system that has been in place for 60 or 70 years - oil always being at the center of it."