A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, November 21, 2005

Paying to Vote

On Election Day 2005, the silly citizens of Spokane County approved Proposition 1, Vote by Mail. I have never voted by mail. I prefer to take the time and make the effort to go to my polling station to do my civic duty.

I really hate the thought that I now have to mail in my vote. How much voter fraud will happen because people don't have to actually physically go to the polls? I know they do Vote by Mail in other states, but I don't care. I don't want to.

We received ballots a few days ago for the stupid Mayoral Recall. I was looking at the contents today.

I pulled out the envelope I am to send my ballot back in and discovered (outrageous!) that to vote, I have to pay for a stamp. The post office won't deliver it without a stamp.

I thought poll taxes were disallowed? My taxes already pay for the County Auditor and the whole election process. I shouldn't have to pay $.37 for my vote to count.

Yes, I can physically take my ballot to the county auditor's office, but then why not just have polling places?