A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Embryonic Stem Cell "Hype"

Courtesy K-Lo at The Corner

From BBC News---
The potential benefits of embryonic stem cell research have probably been oversold to the public, fertility expert Lord Winston says.

He fears a backlash if science fails to deliver on some of the "hype" around the cells - as he believes may happen.

He says the notion that a host of cures for serious, degenerative disorders are just around the corner is fanciful.
And,
"I was concerned that parliamentarians - particularly in the House of Commons - have been convinced that it was just a matter of a few years before we would be able to transplant stem cells and cure a lot of neurological disorders, like Alzheimer's disease, for which I think it is going to be a hugely difficult problem and probably completely insoluble by stem cells."

Lord Winston said from his own lab's work he could see there were many problems associated with embryonic stem cells that would need to be understood and resolved before they could have clinical applications.
Read the rest of the article to learn more about the difficulties of using these stem cells.

I'm against using embryonic stem cells for anything, even research. When you die (or if you are murdered, like the babies these stem cells generally come from were), would you want scientists to cut you up and use you without permission?