A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Mind your own business

When will actors learn to keep their noses out of things that are not their business and their mouths shut?

I don't remember anyone asking for Oseana Penn Laden or Pierce "I am James Bond" Brosnan for their opinions on Hurricane Katrina or the aftermath.

Penn accuses Bush amid rescue chaos---

The US government was accused of "criminal negligence" as hopes of finding survivors faded and the death toll from Hurricane Katrina continued to rise.

Holidaymakers returning to the UK spoke of the scale of the misery while one said leering police officers demanded young women flash their breasts in return for help.

Oscar-winning Hollywood actor Sean Penn, who has been assisting rescue efforts in New Orleans, said the US government did not "seem to be inclined to help".

"We were pulling drowning people out of the water, it's the ultimate distress and human suffering ... dead bodies," he told GMTV.

Penn said he had spent nine hours on Monday searching the water for people and during all that time he saw just three boats carrying US officials.

"There are people that are dying right now and I mean babies and old people and everybody in between - they're dying. There are people dying and (the US government are) not putting the boats in the water, I think that's criminal negligence. I don't think anybody ever anticipated the criminal negligence of the Bush administration in this situation."
Really, nine hours? Pulling drowning people out of the water? This tells a different story: Sean Penn was bailing water out of his entourage-laden boat with a little red plastic cup. I guess Penn's personal photographer and other assistants were weighing the boat down too much. Picture here.

And as for James Bond himself: Actor Brosnan says Bush 'has a lot to answer for'---

Pierce Brosnan was the only big star on hand as the Deauville Festival of American Cinema got off to a quiet start over the weekend, and he took advantage of the spotlight to blast the Bush administration's handling of the carnage caused by Hurricane Katrina.

"This man called President Bush has a lot to answer for," the former James Bond actor told reporters Saturday. "I don't know if this man is really taking care of America. This government has been shameful."
Perhaps this man who isn't actually James Bond should go have a martini, shaken, not stirred, so his mouth will be too full to utter nonsense about things he knows nothing about.

Better yet, perhaps Penn and Brosnan should put their money where their mouths are and donate hefty chunks of money to the relief efforts.

(Curtsy to Drudge)