A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Saturday, August 27, 2005

Definitely "Just Desserts"

Fox News: Land Grab or 'Just Desserts?'---

A California man angry about a recent Supreme Court decision that allowed a Connecticut city to seize private property for commercial use is trying to turn the ruling against one high court justice.

Logan Darrow Clements wants to build a hotel on an eight-acre property owned by Supreme Court Justice David Souter in the small New England town of Weare, N.H., as a way to protest the eminent domain ruling.

Clements says that putting a hotel on Souter’s property would make a lot more money for the town, and would also make a point about private property rights.

"We're trying to educate five special people about the importance of the Fifth Amendment by using their own flawed logic and applying it to their own situations,” said Clements. "It is a PR effort to call attention to eminent domain abuse and it's a creative way to do it."

Souter was one of five Supreme Court justices who sided with the city of New London, Conn., in its fight to seize private landowners' property in order to build a hotel and convention center. Eminent domain allows municipalities to take private land for its own use -- despite the owners' objections -- if the proposed project for that land, such as a road, benefits the community.

Clements says he wants to build the "Lost Liberty Hotel," complete with a dining room called the "Just Desserts Cafe," where Souter's 200-year old farmhouse sits today.
Frankly, I think this is a brilliant idea.

Clements’ supporters need just 25 signatures to get the proposed hotel on the ballot next March, where a simple majority vote would force the town to take a serious look at claiming and rezoning Souter's property.
Where do I sign? ;)

You can watch a little video on it at Fox. Just click on the link above.