A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Saturday, August 27, 2005

And what should be the highest priority?

Yahoo News: Kennedy Urges More Money for Education---

WASHINGTON - Sen. Edward Kennedy, in a back-to-school challenge to Republicans, used the Democratic Party's radio address Saturday to lobby for more federal money for education.

"We need our Republican colleagues to join us in giving education the high priority that it deserves at the national level," said Kennedy, the senior Democrat on the Senate committee that oversees education.
Well, we need the Democrats to join us in giving the military the high priority that it deserves at the national level. Some Libs, like John Kerry, like to vote against weapons systems and things like that.

"The stakes are too high for us to allow political gamesmanship to get in the way," the Massachusetts senator said. "No less than our national security and competitive standing in the world are at risk."
I do agree that the stakes are too high for us to allow political gamesmanship to get in the way----in the way of killing the terrorists, I mean. Unfortunately, the Liberals and their friends are the ones playing games.

And I'm not quite clear on how giving lots more money for schools to waste has anything to do with our national security and competitive standing in the world. It would make sense if our public schools were actually turning out well-educated, well-rounded, able to read and write students . . . but they are not.

And we mustn't forget about how people have fits about military recruiters being on school grounds and talking to students or young men having to register with Selective Service. If Teddy and the Demmy's are really interested in "national security" and our "competitive standing," then they better get on board with military recruiting.

For without a strong and well-armed military, we won't have a competitive standing and, therefore, will have no need for schools.