A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, December 04, 2006

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

After facing the backlash that erupted after she said "I like living here [in England] because I don't fit into the bad side of American psychology. The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans," Gwyneth Paltrow, said "Oops!" and proceeded to protest that she was misunderstood.

From People Magazine:

Gwyneth Paltrow is "deeply upset" over stories claiming she made anti-American remarks, and tells PEOPLE exclusively that she never said anything against her native country.

"First of all I feel so lucky to be American. When you look at the rest of the world, we're so lucky, and that's something my dad always instilled in me," Paltrow tells PEOPLE. "I feel so proud to be American."
[. . .]
"I felt so upset to be completely misconstrued and I never, ever would have said that," says the 34-year-old Oscar winner. "I definitely did not say that I think the British are more intelligent and civilized than Americans. I am a New York girl, that's how I always think of myself and see myself."
[. . .]
"This is what I said. I said that Europe is a much older culture and there's a difference. I always say in America, people live to work and in Europe, people work to live. There are positives in both," says the actress . . .
As Queen Gertrude says in Hamlet (III, ii, 239)

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
Obviously she thinks (as she said) we Americans are stupid enough to fall for her silly excuses. How many times have we heard the "mis-interpreted . . . misconstrued" line from Hollywood Airheads after they have ripped the United States and Americans apart in the foreign (or national) press?

Not falling for it this time, Gwyneth!

UPDATE: Via Drudge

From the Friday, January 27, 2006 edition of The Guardian

"I love the English way, which is not as capitalistic as it is in America. People don't talk about work and money; they talk about interesting things at dinner parties. I like living here because I don't tap into the bad side of American psychology, which is 'I'm not achieving enough, I'm not making enough, I'm not at the top of the pile.' It's just kind of like, I am."
See, the thing is, if we didn't have such an excellent economy in America, then there wouldn't be a Hollywood. Americans wouldn't have the money to frivolously spend it on silly and stupid movies starring silly and stupid people like Gwyneth Paltrow. Her attitude is one only those very wealthy can espouse. They don't have to worry about paying for groceries and electric bills on a tight budget. They can jet around the world at their leisure and buy lovely homes, clothing, and vehicles. Most of us can't do that. In fact, going to the movie theater has become so expensive that many of us can rarely do that either.

Frankly, Americans have sought to be the best since our country's founding and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, seeking to be the best has made us into the most generous, inventive, and fabulous nation on the face of this earth. What other country do people every where want to live in? We provide so many things for the world because we strive always to be the best. We do not always reach the top and nor are we always perfect, but we try.

It is easy enough to not to say "I'm not making enough" when one has already reached the priveleged level of income, but most Americans cannot say that. Will probably never be able to say that.

I am the first to admit that I am a huge Anglophile. I envy Britain its long history, its traditions, and English-ness. I will also admit that I am sure in many ways, in regards to these qualifications, America is not equal to Britain. But, I won't disparage America for that. After all, we should consider Britain's history as our history. Our country was born of English traditions, heritage, history, culture, and politics. Our Founding Fathers were English.

And while I am quite an Anglophile, the United States of America is the country first in my heart, for ever and for always. There is no greater place on earth.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,