A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Sunday, December 03, 2006

If that's Intelligence . . .

Via Jonah Goldberg at NRO

AFP: US actress Gwyneth Paltrow prefers British dinner talk---

Oscar-winning US actress Gwyneth Paltrow feels dinner talk is far more interesting in her adopted homeland Britain than back in her native country.

"I love the English lifestyle, it's not as capitalistic as America. People don't talk about work and money, they talk about interesting things at dinner," she told "NS," the weekend magazine supplement of daily Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias on Saturday.

"I like living here because I don't fit into the bad side of American psychology. The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans," the 34-year-old added.
Wow. She's just brilliant.

The truth is that Gwyneth is part of the Hollywood crowd. I am unsurprised that dinner conversations with her fellow celebrities are childish, unintelligent, and uncivilized. What else could one expect?

Obviously, if Gwyneth came down from "Mount Olympus" and met real Americans (not the anti-Americans she hangs out and clearly belongs with), she would understand that we are intelligent, civilized, well-educated (well, some of us---though, if one remembers how many Hollywood celebs have either dropped out of high school or college, or never attended college, then one knows that I am not referring to them), and all-around great people.

We also have plenty to talk about, other than money. Does Gwyneth not realize that she is paid so much money for pretending to be other people BECAUSE the United States has such an excellent economy and Americans have excess money to spend on her silly movies? Perhaps, rather than making fun of America, she ought to be grateful to us for allowing her to live her cushy life.

Of course, no one said Gwyneth was brilliant or intelligent. After all, look who she hangs out with:

She said having US pop star Madonna, 48, who married British film director Guy Ritchie six years ago, nearby was another advantage to living in London.

"She's like an older sister. Everything I have gone through, she went through ten times worse and ten times longer. She gives me good advice about how to say no and take care of myself," said Paltrow.
Oh, we all know that Madonna is completely intelligent, civilized, and classy!

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,