A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, October 09, 2006

Will the World do anything?

North Korea has apparently tested a nuclear weapon.

There were conflicting reports on the size of the blast in northeast North Korea. South Korea said it was relatively small, while Russia said it had been perhaps as powerful as the nuclear bombs the U.S. dropped on Japan during World War II.

The explosion prompted worldwide concern it could seriously destabilize the region, and even Pyongyang's ally China said it strongly opposed the move. South Korea's spy chief said there were possible indications the North was moving to conduct more tests.

The North's official Korean Central News Agency said the underground test was performed successfully using the country's own technology and that no radiation leaked from the site.
Right, I believe the North Koreans about as much as I believe Bill Clinton.

The world reacted swiftly:

China — a key North Korean ally — openly criticized Pyongyang and demanded that it return to disarmament talks. Japan and the United States urged quick Security Council action, backed by Britain, Germany, France, Australia and other nations.
Oh, goody, the UN will take care of everything nothing. Japan, Britain, and Australia are strong and true allies, but France and Germany . . . what will they do? The French might sound tough, but I'm sure they've got their white flags at the ready (dictators scare them).

I have to go to work, but you can find great coverage here:

-Michelle Malkin: here and here
-Hot Air: here and here
-Stop the ACLU
-A Rose By Any Other Name

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,