A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Sneak Peek at 300!

Normally I wouldn't notice a movie like this, but it stars one of my favorite actors Gerard Butler happens to be starring in it.

Here is a synopsis:

Based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, "300" is a retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite against their Persian enemy, drawing a line in the sand for democracy.
So far it looks pretty cool!

I read this on The Corner earlier this month:

Dear Jonah,

I saw 300 earlier this year, before all the effects and music was in place. The imagery is straight from the comic, but the acting of the leads is superb (if you can get past physical specimens that look like the front cover to "The Advocate"). It is a fairly unsubtle, and propagandistic rebuke to the middle east and their assault on wester culture. It's an allegory to what may come soon, and how we need belligerance and courage to face up to those that wish to preserve our way of life. A few scenes with a high creep factor, but a very strong and tightly directed film. Look forward to watching it again when it is done. It's not for everyone, and I expect VDH to be less than thrilled with how fast and loose it plays with some of the History, as it's sort of a Shakespearan treatment of history. But it is very entertaining.
Get a sneak peek at the trailer on Yahoo here.

300 comes out 9 March 2007.

Technorati Tags: , , ,