A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Sunday, October 15, 2006

"I will not hide my belief in the Lord Jesus."

This story seems made for a Sunday, God's day. Perhaps it will remind us that we need to shine our Christianity to the world.

Sadly, this seems to be rather typical: Christians are discriminated against because they are Christians, while people of other religions can do whatever they want.

Brava, Nadia Eweida! God bless you.

AFP: British Airways suspends worker with cross---
LONDON (AFP) - British Airways has suspended a Christian woman who wears a necklace with a cross to work, even though it allows Muslims and Sikhs to wear headscarves and turbans.

Nadia Eweida, 55, told the Daily Mail Saturday, that she decided to sue her employer for religious discrimination after having been suspended without pay for three weeks.
"I will not hide my belief in the Lord Jesus. British Airways permits Muslims to wear a headscarf, Sikhs to wear a turban and other faiths religious apparel," Eweida said. "Only Christians are forbidden to express their faith."

Eweida, a British Airways employee for seven years, works at the BA check-in counter at London's Heathrow Airport.

In a statement, British Airways said: "The case is ongoing, and is still under investigation, and as such it would be inappropriate to discuss it in detail. An appeal is due to be heard next week.

"British Airways does recognize that uniformed employees may wish to wear jewelry including religious symbols. Our uniform policy states that these items can be worn underneath the uniform," it said.

"There is no ban. The rule applies for all jewelry and religious symbols on chains and is not specific to the Christian cross," it said. "Other religious items such as turbans, hijabs and bangles can be worn as it is not practical for staff to conceal them beneath their uniforms."
That's ridiculous. Why must a crucifix be covered up? Because it might offend someone? It offends me that a fellow Christian was told she cannot show her Christianity to the world. It offends me that anyone would consider it practical or right to "conceal" the symbol of our Lord and Savior's sacrifice FOR ALL HUMANITY underneath one's clothing.

But, tell me, are there Christians rioting in the streets, burning buildings, murdering people over this?

Wis 2:12-22:

The wicked say:
12 Let us beset the just one, because he is obnoxious to us; he sets himself against our doings, Reproaches us for transgressions of the law and charges us with violations of our training. 13 He professes to have knowledge of God and styles himself a child of the LORD. 14 To us he is the censure of our thoughts; merely to see him is a hardship for us, 15 Because his life is not like other men's, and different are his ways. 16 He judges us debased; he holds aloof from our paths as from things impure. He calls blest the destiny of the just and boasts that God is his Father. 17 Let us see whether his words be true; let us find out what will happen to him. 18 For if the just one be the son of God, he will defend him and deliver him from the hand of his foes. 19 With revilement and torture let us put him to the test that we may have proof of his gentleness and try his patience. 20 Let us condemn him to a shameful death; for according to his own words, God will take care of him." 21 These were their thoughts, but they erred; for their wickedness blinded them, 22 And they knew not the hidden counsels of God; neither did they count on a recompense of holiness nor discern the innocent souls' reward.

Psalm 54:3-9:

3 O God, by your name save me. By your strength defend my cause. 4 O God, hear my prayer. Listen to the words of my mouth. 5 The arrogant have risen against me; the ruthless seek my life; they do not keep God before them. Selah 6 God is present as my helper; the Lord sustains my life. 7 Turn back the evil upon my foes; in your faithfulness, destroy them. 8 Then I will offer you generous sacrifice and praise your gracious name, LORD, 9 Because it has rescued me from every trouble, and my eyes look down on my foes.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,