A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, May 12, 2006

Say Thanks to A Soldier

This is such a great story.

AP: Soldier, on Leave From Iraq, Meets Pen Pals---

SMITHTOWN, N.Y. - Third-graders at the St. Patrick School know nothing of roadside bombs or the insurgents in Iraq. They only know their pen pal, Sgt. Travis Collier, is serving there.

Collier ? home from Iraq on a two-week leave ? interrupted the students' math lesson Thursday with a surprise visit after flying all night from his home in Murrieta, Calif., to thank the children for their letters and gifts.

"We are the luckiest kids in America right now!" shrieked Katie Curry.

Gina Giamundo gushed: "I was, like, so excited! I was so happy that he came, I was about to cry. It's just a great dream come true."

Shortly after 10 a.m., teacher Elise Perri asked her 26 pupils to pay attention for a special announcement.

"I'm going to introduce to you Sgt. Travis Collier," she said to wide eyes and gasps. "He came all the way from Iraq to see you."

Collier walked in, sharply dressed in his Army uniform, ready for any drill sergeant's inspection.

"You guys get all my letters?" he asked. "Yes," they answered.

"All my soldiers in Iraq loved all the candy, all the socks, all the stuff you guys gave. It was real nice," he continued.

Then he presented the class with a red-white-and-blue banner, headlined "Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005-2006. St. Patrick School." Below it were the names of all 26 children in the class.
Writing a letter is such an easy thing to do . . . and look how it can brighten someone's life!

Collier, 22, who is assigned to a bridge-building engineers unit, said he flew from Kuwait to Germany, then to Atlanta and St. Louis. Then he drove home to California, and got on a plane to New York ? at his own expense ? for the one-day visit. He goes back to Iraq on May 18.

He shrugged when asked why he wrote to each child.

"If they took time to write me, I can find at least part of my day," he said. "I mean I wouldn't have time some days, I'd be out on a mission. ... But anytime I had five minutes to myself, I'd just pull out a pen and paper and try to write a letter, put them all together and send them out."

In their letters, the children asked him about his favorite color (red) and whether he had any pets (a dog named Rufus.) They had no questions about war tactics or casualties.

"It's kind of a relief," he said. "It's basic one-on-one conversation without political views, without you know, 'This is the way I feel about the war,' none of that. It's simple fun."
You can make a soldier-sailor-airman-marine's day by visiting one of these sites and joining in:

-Letters From Home
-America Supports You

Even just an e-mail "thank you" at "America Supports You" is a wonderful way to join in.

Our military sacrifices soooo very much for us. Give back to them! We can never truly repay them, but we can make an effort.

Technorati Tags: , , ,