A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, May 12, 2006

Lords Delay Britannia's Suicide

Late last night I posted Britannia Kills Herself:

England:
Three quarters of people are in favour of a controversial right-to-die Bill to be debated in the House of Lords, according to a new poll.
The latest news today from the Guardian is:

Terminally ill patients have been denied the right to end their lives when the Lords blocked right-to-die legislation at the end of an impassioned seven-hour debate.

Peers blocked a new law to allow doctors to prescribe fatal doses of drugs for patients in unbearable pain amid fears that it would be open to abuse.

As emotions ran high, the Lords voted to delay the Assisted Dying for the Terminally Ill Bill for six months by 148 to 100. The Bill, tabled by crossbencher Lord Joffe, had aroused strong opposition from church leaders, including the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, and the medical profession.

Success for the wrecking amendment comes despite a poll which suggested there was public support for the proposed new law.

More than 80 peers lined up to have their say on the proposal - a huge number for a Friday sitting.
[. . .]
But Dr Williams warned the Bill would "jeopardise the security of the vulnerable by radically changing the relationship between patient and physician". He said: "Whether or not you believe that God enters into the consideration, it remains true that to specify even in the fairly broad terms of this Bill, conditions under which it would be both reasonable and legal to end your life, is to say that certain kinds of life are not worth living."
I do hope the Lords eventually do away with (no pun intended) this horrid bill. Assisted suicide is WRONG, not matter what some say.

Life is precious and ought to be protected.

More from Mad Minerva and Current Affairs.

More stories on this topic (from Google News), including:
-Fox News
-ABCNews
-Catholic World News
-The Times (Britain)

Technorati Tags: , ,