A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, May 12, 2006

"I've dispatched Jack Bauer to the border."

From Bush To Address Nation On Immigration Monday:

FOX

President Bush plans to address the nation Monday night on the immigration debate, trying to build momentum for legislation that could provide millions of illegal immigrants a chance to become American citizens.

The White House said it was seeking time from television networks for the president’s remarks.

“This is crunch time,” Tony Snow, the new White House press secretary said Friday at his first off-camera, or informal, briefing.
So, will it be more lip service, or will he actually address the issue with real action? Will it be more of the same, or has the public outcry finally been heard? Will the speech be in English or Spanish?

A little bird just told me that he plans to put the National Guard on the border. If true, it would definitely be a strong step. If it comes to pass…O’Reilly will surely take credit for the plan…right? However, it still leaves the amnesty question open.

Hat tip: Hot Air

The Corner has been busy with :

-Kathryn Lopez says she's not listening if the speech is:
opposite 24.

UPDATE: He's speaking at 8. Smart man.
-John Derbyshire says he will "run screaming from the room" if the President uses any of these words or phrases in the speech (and I heartily concur!):

jobs Americans won't do
nation of immigrants
compassionate
family values don't stop at the Rio Grande
good-hearted people
path to citizenship
my good friend Vicente Fox
this is not amnesty
Can you think of any more?

-John Miller says President Bush should say:

"I've dispatched Jack Bauer to the border."
Which would be the best thing possible! Jack Bauer would have the borders closed and all illegal aliens out of the country in 24 hours!

-John Podhoretz says that John Derbyshire wants the President to say:

"We begin shooting in five minutes."
Which I like too. Of course, if we sent Jack Bauer down there, that's what would happen.

And, finally, here is what John Derbyshire wishes the President would say. (Use the link) One can only dream.

Seriously, I don't want to waste my time listening to President Bush spout more illegal alien-loving language. I would far prefer to hear a President say we are going to enforce the laws of the land (We already have perfectly good immigration laws! The problem is that no one cares to enforce them.). I want to hear a President say that this is OUR COUNTRY and we expect everyone to FOLLOW THE LAWS. So, NO AMNESTY!!!

Michelle Malkin asks Who's Running America? and says:

A strong statement from Bush on Monday in defense of our sovereignty would be nice.

But I'm not holding my breath...
Nor am I.

**This was a production of The Coalition Against Illegal Immigration (CAII). If you would like to participate, please go to the above link to learn more. Afterwards, email the coalition and let us know at what level you would like to participate.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,