A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, November 22, 2005

"If your base deserts you, you are in deep trouble"

I hope the President learned this lesson, as well!

Human Events: First Senator to Support Miers Says Conservatives Taught Him Lesson---

Sen. John Cornyn (R.-Tex.), the first senator to publicly endorse Harriet Miers for the Supreme Court, told HUMAN EVENTS he underestimated the conservative base’s influence prior to the botched Miers’ nomination.

“It’s an unfortunate perhaps fact, but I now do believe, given the division between the warring factions in our body politic, it’s almost impossible to make a decision without regard to your base,” Cornyn said in an exclusive interview with HUMAN EVENTS. “You have to start there and try to chip away at people in the middle rather than start in the middle and desert your base.”

Cornyn added: “What the President perhaps learned, and what I did learn, is that in a 51-49 nation, if your base deserts you, you are in deep trouble. And that’s what happened on this.”
Really, though, I think this was more of a case of the President deserting the Base, rather than the other way around. We have been extremely, extremely loyal to and supportive of President Bush. Unfortunately, he's seen fit, several times, to jump ship and join with the Democrats.

I hope the Miers Affair will be a lesson learned.

Curtsy to Steve Dillard at Southern Appeal.