A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Thursday, October 13, 2005

Are you sure about that, Tom?

Because, you know, you lost in your last election! And look where you are!

AFP: US ex-senator says undecided about whether to run for president in 2008---

PARIS (AFP) - Tom Daschle, a former US senator who lost his seat last year, told AFP that he was undecided about whether to run as a candidate in 2008 presidential elections that will decide who will succeed George W. Bush.

"I haven't made any decision about my political future," he said during a visit to Paris when asked specifically about his plans regarding the presidency.

"My hope is to make as much of a contribution for my party over the next couple of years as I can," he said.

Daschle, who used to be the leader of the Democrats in the US senate before being narrowly beaten by a Republican in the November 2004 election in his home state of South Dakota, said he was making a week-long European trip taking in Britain, France and Germany in his capacity as a member of a US law firm trying to drum up business.

But his recent decision to form a new political committee from a fundraising body he used in his senatorial days has sparked speculation in the US media that he plans to run again for public office.

In his interview with AFP, Daschle, 58, ruled out taking a shot at the governorship of South Dakota, saying "I have little interest in state government, I have far greater interest in national government."

But he did admit that his new committee, called New Leadership for America, was set up as a "platform" for his ambitions.

"Whether it's to make a run for further office or not is unclear," he added.