A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, October 12, 2005

We should adopt some of these.

Also from the article about the banning of burkas in the Netherlands:

How the Netherlands has become less liberal:

*Immigrants must pass an exam on Dutch language and culture before being allowed to move to the Netherlands. That does not apply to immigrants from US, Canada, Australia, Japan and other EU states.

*Legal immigrants already there must take a Dutch language course at their own expense.

*Immigrants guilty of any minor crime, such as shoplifting, during their first three years in the country can be deported.

*People can bring in a husband or wife only once they are 24 years old, and do not depend on welfare benefits. The measures are aimed at curbing international arranged marriages.

*26,000 illegal immigrants are being deported, some of whom have been in the country for ten years and have established families.

*Clampdown on foreign imams working in mosques. They must show their appreciation of Dutch values.

*Increase in sentences for a range of crimes, and introduction of “zero tolerance” policing to cities such as Rotterdam.

*Tightening of rules on cannabis-selling coffee-shops and zero-tolerance approach to infringements. About half the coffee shops in Amsterdam have closed.