A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, October 12, 2005

More on the "Sexism" Charge

This from the excellent Captain's Quarters:

It's either feast or famine at the White House with the Harriet Miers nomination. Given the chance to lay out a positive, substantial case for her nomination to the Supreme Court, the Bush administration has remained largely silent. However, given an opportunity to smear the base that elected them, the administration has seized practically every opportunity to do so. The latest comes from the normally classy First Lady, who again promoted Ed Gillespie's barnburner accusation of sexism among the ranks of conservatives:
Captain Ed lists female nominees Conservatives have gladly, staunchly been supporting, such as Janice Rogers Brown, Priscilla Owens, etc.

You can read the entire post (which I highly recommend) here.

Update-6:08pm:
Michelle Malkin has a great round-up, which you can find
here.

The Political Teen has video here.

It isn't just men I have heard criticize the Miers pick. There are plenty of Conservative women out there, like me, who wanted good, solid Conservative nominees, not unknowns. Am I being sexist? I don't think so. I haven't heard any men call Harriet Miers a stupid female or say she shouldn't be nominated because she is a female. Rather, we criticize her for her lack of Conservative qualifications.

On a basketball team, you don't appoint the waterboy as the new head coach, no matter how devoted he is to the team. He isn't qualified. Same thing here.