A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Oh joy, more bureacratic incompetence!

Washington Time: Bush seeks to federalize emergencies---

President Bush yesterday sought to federalize hurricane-relief efforts, removing governors from the decision-making process.

"It wouldn't be necessary to get a request from the governor or take other action," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said yesterday.

"This would be," he added, "more of an automatic trigger."

Mr. McClellan was referring to a new, direct line of authority that would allow the president to place the Pentagon in charge of responding to natural disasters, terrorist attacks and outbreaks of disease.

"It may require change of law," Mr. Bush said yesterday. "It's very important for us as we look at the lessons of Katrina to think about other scenarios that might require a well-planned, significant federal response -- right off the bat -- to provide stability."
This isn't the federal government's job. What about states' rights? Our troops shouldn't be used to compensate for the inadequacies of elected officials.

Essentially, this would allow the federal government to do whatever it wants when a disaster happens. I don't think that is right. I don't want the federal government coming in and taking over. It isn't as though it has a good track record---this just adds to its size and scope.

It is up to the elected officials and the people of a state to take care of their homes, businesses, cities, etc. They are the ones who should make decisions and pay for the rebuilding.

(Curtsy to Drudge)