A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Maria Can't-Do-Well

Hmmmm, we never hear anything from her, so I guess I assumed she fell into Mt. St. Helen's.

Unfortunately, not.

KIRO 7 (Seattle): Cantwell Says She Will Oppose Roberts---

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., says she will oppose Chief Justice-nominee John Roberts, adding she is concerned that Roberts did not make clear his views on an individual's right to privacy.

Cantwell, who met with Roberts on Monday night at her Senate office, said Tuesday in a speech on the Senate floor that Roberts failed to address her concerns about privacy -- and abortion rights -- despite repeated questions.

"I have some concerns about Judge Roberts' views on the right to privacy" and whether Roberts "will continue to protect a woman's right to choose" an abortion, Cantwell said.
I'm concerned because Maria Cantwell never makes herself known on the Eastern half of the state. It seems she only represents the Liberal King County (Seattle) side.

I am further concerned about Maria Can't-do-well's views on the right to life. Apparently, she believes the slaughter of innocent babies is a-ok.

Cantwell, in her Senate speech, said she also was concerned about Roberts' views on the environment. Cantwell cited a dissenting opinion Roberts wrote in a 2003 case on whether a shopping mall developer should be forced to make provisions for a rare California toad.

Noting that the federal government's authority was based on its regulation of interstate commerce, Roberts wondered why the Interior Department should be "regulating the taking of a hapless toad that, for reasons of its own, lives its entire life in California."

Noting that many environmental laws are based on government's constitutional power to regulate interstate commerce, Cantwell said Roberts' opinion raised questions about how he might view the constitutionality of important protections under the Endangered Species Act.

"Congress has authority to protect, I believe, our most important species," Cantwell said.
Our most important "species" is human beings and Maria doesn't care to protect them. But she's all for frogs!

If you would like to contact our horrid Leftist Senators, Maria Cantwell and Patty Murray, you can find their information here.