A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Does Howard Dean actually watch the news?

Fox News: Dean: Race Was Factor in Deaths---

MIAMI — Race was a factor in the death toll from Hurricane Katrina, Howard Dean told members of the National Baptist Convention of America on Wednesday at the group's annual meeting.

Dean, chairman of the Democratic party, made the comments to the Baptists' Political and Social Justice Commission. The Baptist Convention, with an estimated 3.5 million members, is one of the largest black religious groups in the country.

"We must ... come to terms with the ugly truth that skin color, age and economics played a deadly role in who survived and who did not," Dean said.
I didn't know Hurricane Katrina was a racial profiler!

But here is the section that makes me wonder whether Howard Dean actually watches or reads the news:

Dean said Americans have a moral responsibility to not ignore the devastating damage caused by Hurricane Katrina when it struck the Gulf Coast.
What? We're ignoring the devastating damage caused by Hurricane Katrina?

According to this USA Today article, entitled "Storm giving outpaces that of 9/11, tsunami,"
Private fundraising for Hurricane Katrina victims - from bake sales, to carwashes, to football games - has topped a half billion dollars and is outpacing U.S. donations for tsunami relief.
That's right, Howard, that says private fundraising, meaning We the People are doing it ourselves.

We aren't ignoring the victims of Hurricane Katrina. We've stepped up to do what Americans always do for those in need: give money, medicine, time, food, water, clothing, diapers, blankets, places to stay, and everything else one might need to live.

What more does he want? Our souls?

Perhaps he should spend less time race-baiting and more time actually paying attention to the real world. He might learn a thing or two about the American people.