A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Thursday, September 29, 2005

Did you watch?

ABC's new show, Commander-in=Chief, premiered this week. I didn't watch, so I don't know how partisan it was or wasn't.

I found this article on Yahoo: Davis' 'President' Takes Independent Path.

The thing is, the independent currently in the Senate is a Liberal Independent who might as well face up to the fact that he's a Lib.

Is "Mackenzie Allen" really "independent"? Or is she "independent" according to the media's idea of independent. Because that means "liberal."

Now she's an accidental president (the sitting officeholder unexpectedly died) who must juggle affairs of state with family obligations that include three kids. Who must help her husband and former chief of staff (Kyle Secor) navigate his new job as the first-ever "First Man." And who must defend herself against a town of enemies — notably the vengeful Speaker of the House (Donald Sutherland), who seethes at her refusal to step aside, which would have cleared his own path to the White House.

In early polling, the Allen Administration has logged high approval ratings: The premiere of "Commander in Chief" (airing 9 p.m. EDT Tuesdays) was watched by more than 16 million people, winning its hour.
Do note that the Speaker of the House is "vengeful," at a time when the Speaker of the House, in the real world, is a Republican. Is it a coincidence? Or a pointed message?

As for the high approval ratings, don't most shows do rather well on premiere night? The real test will be if it can continue with the similar ratings.

I want to know how long we will have to go on with the media acting like this is a real presidency. Re: "In early polling, the Allen Administration."

Newsflash: There is no "Allen Administration." It's make believe.

I guess it doesn't help that the ABC website for CinC is a make believe Presidential website, complete with a fake and annoying blog, fake polls, etc. You can view it (and laugh) here.