A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, September 19, 2005

Celebrate "Talk Like A Pirate Day"

Today is "Talk Like A Pirate Day." You can read more about it here.


Here is what the site says about how the day came to be:

While not as popular as [Christmas] or [Arbor Day], Talk Like a Pirate Day is a recognized and heartily celebrated international holiday. On September 19th, people awake transformed: their voices deeper, their usual pedestrian walk replaced by a seaman's swagger, and whenever they speak, they speak with the voice of a pirate.

"Aye, 'tis a beautiful morn' t'be jawin' like a Man o'the Sea!"

Founded by [John Baur and Mark Summers] during a raquetball game and, coincidentally, occuring the same day's as Mark's ex-wife's birthday, Talk Like a Pirate Day has taken the world by storm. At my office, for instance, everyone talks like a pirate on September 19th. There's no end to the fun as clients call and are subjected to the blast of "Ahoy matey, what can we do for ye scurvy dogs this fine day?"

The thing just sort of grew, and then took off in 2002 when Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist Dave Barry got wind of it and [wrote about it in his Miami Herald Column].

So find yourself a name on the Pirate Monikers page and practice a couple Pirate Phrases and you'll be on your way. Ye don't want to be handed the dreaded BlackSpot come September 20!"
They have a whole list of Pirate Phrases, so you can really talk like a Pirate.

There are links to Pirate name generators and lists. You have to have a Pirate name to really be a pirate! (Mine is Calico Anne Rackham).

There is a new Pirate Translator, which allows you to type in sentences and then translates it into Pirate language.

A list of Pirate Words.

More Pirates links:

Pirates!

Pirates of the Spanish Main (tons of sites, games, and fun activities)

The site for one of my absolute favorite movies Keep to the Code, the offical site for the Pirates of the Caribbean movies

I suggest you get yourself a Pirate name, learn some Pirate phrases, and watch Pirates of the Caribbean in honor of the day!