A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Sunday, September 18, 2005

What's his angle?

AP: Specter Seeks Another Roberts-Like Nominee---

WASHINGTON - Predicting an easy confirmation for John Roberts, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee said Sunday he hoped President Bush's next Supreme Court nominee will share Roberts' conservative credentials.

I hope that we'll have somebody who is modest like Judge Roberts says he is, someone who will promote stability so there are no sharp turns," said Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa.
Ah, there's the rub. Just when I was thinking Arlen Spector, RINO-Pa. was wising up, he reminds us of his RINO ways. He wants no "sharp turns," meaning he doesn't want a real Conservative who will pull the Supreme Court back to the Right (and I do mean right, as in proper, moral, etc.). He wants a justice who will continue on with the status quo, which happens to be liberal activism.

Further in the article,

Bush plans to meet on Wednesday with Specter, Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and Sen. Patrick Leahy of Vermont, the top Democrat on the Judiciary Committee.
---
"I would hope that we could see the court have less 5-4 decisions and speak with more clarity," Leahy said. "I think the president, with four of us there, may well get some response on what we think about those names."
Mr. President! We won the last 3 elections! You don't have to ask the losers for advice.

And Leahy, we don't care what you think. Go back to Vermont.

Specter said he is confident Roberts will support privacy rights such as abortion and believes a judge in the same mold would be an appropriate replacement for O'Connor.

"I'd like to hear that the president is going to maintain balance and have a very evenly divided court," he said.
Where ever does it say the Supreme Court has to be evenly divided or balanced? Perhaps it is a secret clause in the Constitution, kind of like the right to abortion, that some of us just can't see.

Arlen Specter should never have been made chairman of the Judiciary Committee. Way to go, President Bush!