A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Sunday, September 18, 2005

Assaulting the President

Back on 4 September 2005, Louisiana Senator Mary Landrieu, after hearing criticism about the real incompetence of the response of state and local officials to Hurricane Katrina, threatened:
If one person criticizes them or says one more thing - including the president of the United States - he will hear from me," she said on the ABC program. "One more word about it after this show airs and I might likely have to punch him. Literally."
And yesterday she refused to apologize.

NewsMax: Sen. Mary Landrieu: I'll Still Punch Bush---

Sen. Mary Landrieu refused on Friday to withdraw or apologize for her threat to punch President Bush if he criticized Louisiana officials - despite Bush's magnanimous speech Thursday night and a federal downpayment of more than $60 billion dollars to rebuild her state.

"I do not take it back, I don't apologize for it. I said I would punch anybody, including the president," she told the Chicago Tribune.

"Though threatening the president is a crime," the Tribune noted - "the Secret Service took it as a joke and the White House brushed off her remarks."

Standing in the Capitol, however, Landrieu made it clear she wasn't joking.
Not a very decorous manner for a Senator of the United States. The Secret Service really ought to take it seriously and haul her in for questioning. With handcuffs.

Threatening the President with physical harm should always be taken seriously. By refusing to apologize, Mary Landrieu sets a horrible example for her constituents.

She's a disgrace. She is a Senator from Louisiana. It was her responsibility, and that of the Governor of the State and the Mayor of New Orleans, to take care of her own state, not the President's.

If anyone ought to be punched it is the Three Stooges: Landrieu, Blanco, and Nagin.

(Curtsy to K-Lo at The Corner)