A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, June 17, 2005

Newsflash: We don't trust the French.

So, there are new poll results out saying that only 35% of Americans trust the French. In 2002, that number was 50%. Thirty-one percent of the French have "sympathy" for us, down from 39%.

From the Yahoo Story:


The survey showed an overwhelming 70 percent of French people believe the United States is not a loyal ally. Fifty-six percent of Americans said France was not a reliable partner.

French people with left-wing views are most likely to be hostile to Americans, the survey found. Left-wing French voters drove France's rejection last month of the EU constitution. Many who voted 'No' said they feared the charter would impose U.S.-style free-market economics on Europe.
We aren't a "loyal ally"? Right, and we didn't do anything at Normandy back in 1944 either.

The French are the ones who are not loyal. And they are afraid the EU constitution would "impose U.S.-style free-market economics on Europe"? If only they were so lucky! Are they afraid of freedom? And people doing well without help from the state?

Yahoo has a picture of the Statue of Liberty at sunset, with a caption about how it was a gift of friendship from France to the U.S. Where is the picture of the Cemetary at Normandy? That was a far bigger and more important gift that a statue.

I really hate the French (and my ancestry is French, German, and Irish.).