A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, June 13, 2005

"What's being desecrated here?"

Over at Townhall.com Diana West has a column about how insanely carefully the soldiers at Gitmo are being instructed to handle the Quran.

Here is a paragraph:

Since all of Guantanamo's inmates happen to be members of the same famed band of Muslim extremists, the Army has seen fit to distribute Qurans. So far, so good, I guess. But the Army doesn't just distribute its Qurans like any other religious book. That is, the Bible may get passed around, riffled through, dropped, tossed and stuffed into hotel room drawers. But not the Quran. According to United States Army policy, the standard operating procedure is: "Handle the Quran as if it were a fragile piece of delicate art."

She goes on to detail exactly how the Quran must be handled, who is allowed to handle it, and who is not supposed to handle it (that would be infidels such as us).

I'm sure the terrorists take just as much care with the Bible. How about in Saudi Arabia? Here is a great article about how our most Sacred Book is treated in Saudi Arabia, compared to the treatment the Quran gets in the United States. In the article, entitled "Hypocrisy Most Holy," the author, Ali Al-Ahmed, informs us that "The Bible in Saudi Arabia may get a person killed, arrested, or deported."