A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Kofi Should Resign

From a Yahoo News Article:
PARIS (Reuters) - U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, under fire over the Iraqi oil-for-food scandal, said on Wednesday he would not resign and was determined to continue his work to reform the United Nations.

Annan said in a newspaper interview it was regrettable that former U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker could not conduct his inquiry into the affair in "serenity" because of "incessant attacks against me, the U.N., and this committee."

Wah wah wah! So, poor little Kofi feels like he's constantly under attack. I wonder why? Oh, that's right! Because he has allowed and possibly been part of the biggest scandal ever at the United Nations. What does he expect, that we'll serve him tea and crumpets and say quietly, "Dear Kofi, how are things going? We feel you must be under a lot of stress. We'll just sweep all of this under the rug." ??? I don't think so.

Further, he calls the United States promises to cut off contributions until reforms are made "threats." It is our money and we'll do what we like with it, thank you very much, and if we don't want to share it with a bunch of corrupt bureaucrats, then we won't (well, except in our own government).