A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Thursday, May 18, 2006

A Nation of the Unassimilated

In past years, the United States has seen a huge flood of Mexican illegal aliens enter this country.

Obviously (though, sadly, not as obvious to everyone), these people have illegally invaded the US.

The question is: do they assimilate?

Pro-Open Borders people (including the Democrat Party, President Bush, and---sadly---any number of Republican leaders) like to bring up the fact that the US is a "Nation of Immigrants."

This is true only insofar as, regardless of how many generations our families have lived here, someone in our ancestries came here from another country.

Point granted.

But, this does not make the US a "Nation of Immigrants." Nor does the fact that someone in my family's past came here from Ireland. I did not. Nor did my parents or grandparents. Therefore, I am not an immigrant, and nor are they.

The Pro-Open Borders people say that this is an argument for giving illegal aliens American citizenship--after all, our ancestors came here too.

The objection to this silly line of thinking is that our ancestors came here with the intention of assimilating---of becoming AMERICANS.

The illegal aliens who have invaded from Mexico, for the most part, do not seem to share that goal. The evidence of this is, sadly (once again), all around us. Who hasn't noticed the proliferation of everything in English AND Spanish. Who hasn't been frustrated by having to select 1 for English, when everything should be in English because that is what we speak here? Etc., etc., etc.

This is not to say all things Mexican are bad. I don't care what people speak in their own homes and to their families and friends. I don't care what they eat for dinner or what clothes they wear.

I do have a problem, however, when they expect us to adopt their culture. I do have a problem when they spit at American culture, language, and traditions, and refuse to learn English.

And that is what these people are doing. They are not the immigrants (first of all, they aren't immigrants, because they aren't here legally. They are illegal aliens.) of 70 years ago.

If you want proof, then I suggest you look at this post from David Frum and here, here, and the numerous pictures taken during the illegal alien marches, which you can find all over the internet.

I could hope that the President and other Pro-Open Borders supporters would come to their senses, but they don't appear to be headed in the right direction. If they give amnesty to the alien invaders, they will be furthering the destruction of the United States of America. That is a very sad thing.

I don't want to be in a Nation of the Unassimilated. I prefer living in the United States of America.

Our Founding Fathers must be rolling over in their graves. If only they were here to impress upon the President and other Pro-Open Borders supporters the importance of following laws.

**This was a production of The Coalition Against Illegal Immigration (CAII). If you would like to participate, please go to the above link to learn more. Afterwards, email the coalition and let us know at what level you would like to participate.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,