A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, March 13, 2006

Alas, Goodbye, England

Over at Bookworm Room, Bookworm has a sad (to me) post titled There won't always be an England .

As I am a huge Anglophile, the very thought fills me with sorrow. No England?!? The home of William Shakespeare, Jane Austen, Alfred Lord Tennyson, Winston Churchill gone?

Absolutely horrid to think of.

Bookworm wrote:

As a student of English history, I long ago learned that the last time England was conquered was in 1066. My information, though, is shockingly out of date. It turns out that England is slowly being conquered from within and that, contrary, to the popular saying, there won't always be an England.

Do you doubt my statement and think I'm exaggerating? I'm not. You've probably already heard that the British paper, The Telegraph, depublished Alasdair Palmer's article entitled "ENGLAND: The day is coming when British Muslims form a state within a state."
Napoleon wasn't able to do it from across the Channel. The Nazis weren't able to do it from across the Channel.

It would be a complete shame to see England fall . . . especially from the inside.

I posted a link to an article about England Becoming Muslim back in February, after it was sent to me from Jay in England. A few days later, Jay sent me one by Ibn Warraq. which focused on the reactions to the Danish cartoons about Mohammed and the Islamization of Europe. You can read it here.

Warraq wrote, in part:

Are we in the west going to cave into pressure from societies with a medieval mindset, or are we going to defend our most precious freedom -- freedom of expression, a freedom for which thousands of people sacrificed their lives?
---
On the world stage, should we really apologize for Dante, Shakespeare, and Goethe? Mozart, Beethoven and Bach? Rembrandt, Vermeer, Van Gogh, Breughel, Ter Borch? Galileo, Huygens, Copernicus, Newton and Darwin? Penicillin and computers? The Olympic Games and Football? Human rights and parliamentary democracy? The west is the source of the liberating ideas of individual liberty, political democracy, the rule of law, human rights and cultural freedom. It is the west that has raised the status of women, fought against slavery, defended freedom of enquiry, expression and conscience.
Excellent questions. We need to answer them.

England, wake up!