A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Abdul Rahman Released

AP: Afghan Convert Vanishes After Release---

KABUL, Afghanistan - An Afghan man who had faced the death penalty for abandoning Islam for Christianity was freed from prison and went into hiding Tuesday in Kabul after Muslim clerics threatened his life. Italy said it may grant him asylum.

Abdul Rahman, 41, was released from the high-security Policharki prison on the outskirts of the capital late Monday after a court dropped charges of apostasy against him for lack of evidence and suspected mental illness. President Hamid Karzai had been under heavy international pressure to drop the case.

Muslim clerics condemned Rahman's release, saying it was a "betrayal of Islam." They threatened to incite violent protests.

Justice Minister Mohammed Sarwar Danish said Rahman was staying at a "safe location" in Kabul. He has appealed to leave Afghanistan and the United Nations said it has been working to find a country willing to take him.

The Italian government said Foreign Minister Gianfranco Fini will use a Cabinet meeting Wednesday to press for Rahman to be granted asylum there. Interior Minister Giuseppe Pisanu endorsed Fini's proposal.

Fini had earlier expressed Italy's "indignation" over the case and Pope Benedict XVI had appealed to Karzai to protect Rahman.
Good news. Hopefully Italy will do what the US ought to do and offer Rahman asylum. Where is our government, by the way? Our elected officials are all for letting masses of criminal invaders stay, but won't lift a finger for a persecuted man.

You can find my previous posts through here.