A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Decline of Britannia Continues

AFP: England, Wales see 3,648 'gay marriages' in first six weeks of new law---

LONDON (AFP) - A total of 3,648 gay and lesbian couples in England and Wales entered legal unions in the first six weeks under a new law granting them marriage-like rights, government figures showed.

Some 2,510 male couples and 1,138 female couples forged ties under the Civil Partnership Act from December 21, the first day ceremonies occurred, until January 31, the date of the most recent figures, the Office for National Statistics said.

The law came into effect on December 5, allowing gay and lesbian couples in Britain to begin registering their plans to tie the knot.

On December 21, when ceremonies were allowed to take place in England and Wales, the office said some 700 partnerships were sealed, including that of pop singer Elton John and his Canadian partner David Furnish.