A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Bush Threatens Veto

Drudge Report Exlusive Newsflash:

BUSH ISSUES VETO THREAT; VOWS TO KEEP PORT DEAL

Bush called reports at about 2.30 aboard Air Force One to issue a very strong defense of port deal... MORE... He said he would veto any legislation to hold up deal and warned the United States was sending 'mixed signals' by going after a company from the Middle East when nothing was said when a British company was in charge... Lawmakers, he said, must 'step up and explain why a middle eastern company is held to a different standard.' Bush was very forceful when he delivered the statement... 'I don't view it as a political fight,' Bush said.... MORE... MORE...
Fox News is also reporting it, as is Reuters.

EXCUSE ME, Mr. President? You threaten to veto something that would make us safe?

(President Bush hasn't, as far as I know, actually vetoed anything in his 5+ years in office. But now he says he's going to?)

How about the "mixed signals" you are sending on NATIONAL SECURITY? What does it say when, on one hand, you declare that either you are with us or the terrorists and we will go after anyone harboring terrorists, and, on the other hand, you poker up and decide to be contrary when anyone (on your side even!) questions whether or not a country that might be with us or might be against us should be in charge of something so vital to National Security?

Update-1:43pm: Over at The Corner, Byron York posted two items about the President's stance on the Ports.

Bush Port Statement
Bush On Ports, Pt 2

Plus,
AP: Bush: Arab Co. Port Deal Should Proceed