A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Saturday, January 07, 2006

DeLay, the Gentleman

AP: DeLay Gives Up Bid to Reclaim House Post---

WASHINGTON - Rep. Tom DeLay, the defiant face of a conservative revolution in Congress, stepped down as House majority leader on Saturday under pressure from Republicans staggered by an election-year corruption scandal.

During my time in Congress, I have always acted in an ethical manner within the rules of our body and the laws of our land," the Texas lawmaker told fellow Republicans in a letter informing them of his decision.

Still, referring to criminal charges he faces in his home state, he added, "I cannot allow our adversaries to divide and distract our attention."

DeLay temporarily gave up his leadership post after he was charged, but always insisted he would reclaim his duties after clearing his name.
---
Speaker Dennis Hastert, his own grip on power secure, said he expects elections to be held when lawmakers return to the Capitol the week of Jan. 31. That set the stage for several weeks of political maneuvering, and the possibility of a wholesale shuffle in the leadership lineup 10 months before midterm elections. (emphasis added)
Such nice language from the AP. I doubt they would ever say something like that about the Dems. No "Pelosi, her hold on power as tight as her forehead after her Botox injections" (Oh, that could work just as easily for John Kerry).

And speaking of Pelosi:

"The culture of corruption is so pervasive in the Republican conference that a single person stepping down is not nearly enough to clean up the Republican Congress," said Rep. Nancy Pelosi of California, the Democratic leader.
Right. And to clean up the Democratic party, one would have to obliterate almost every single "leader." Sure. Teddy Kennedy is as clean as driven snow. John Edwards never made a dime off of people's sufferings. Robert "Sheets" Byrd never wore a single sheet or said a single disparaging word. The Democrat party is the corrupt party.

DeLay has been attacked because he is effective. The Dems can't stand it.

I am glad to see his formally resign his position of power with such gentlemanly grace. If only there were more of it in Washington, D.C.

To read his statement, visit here.