A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Wednesday, December 07, 2005

"The passenger indicated . . . there was a bomb"

Reuters: Passenger shot by air marshal---

MIAMI (Reuters) - An American Airlines passenger who claimed to be carrying a bomb was shot by an air marshal on a jetway ramp while trying to flee a plane arriving from Medellin, Colombia, at Miami International Airport on Wednesday, a U.S. official said.

"Shots were fired as the team attempted to subdue the subject," the U.S. Homeland Security spokesman said.

The incident took place as American Airlines flight 924 arrived from Medellin for a stopover in Miami en route to Orlando, Florida.

The spokesman said the passenger indicated during the flight that there was a bomb in a carry-on bag and upon landing immediately exited the aircraft through the jetway at Gate D42. Air marshals pursued and ordered the passenger to get down on the ground.

"The passenger then reached into his carry-on bag, at which point, consistent with air marshal training, the air marshals took the appropriate actions. Shots were fired as the team attempted to subdue the subject," the spokesman said.

American Airlines spokesman Tim Smith confirmed: "There was an incident on the jet bridge on one of our aircraft in Miami."

The flight, a Boeing 757, arrived from Medellin, at 12:16 p.m. The flight was due to leave for Orlando at 2:18 p.m.
Sounds like the air marshal did his job.