A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Bush Responds to Crazy Dean

CNN: Bush: 'I know we're going to win' in Iraq---

(CNN) -- President Bush on Tuesday added his voice to Republican criticism of Howard Dean's statement that the United States cannot win the war in Iraq.

"I know we're going to win," Bush told reporters at the White House. "Our troops need to hear not only are they supported, but that we have got a strategy that will win."

Dean, the Democratic National Chairman, on Monday told a San Antonio, Texas, radio station that the United States appears to be making the same mistakes it made during the Vietnam War, and the idea that the war in Iraq can be won is "just plain wrong."
---
In response, Bush conceded that there would be disagreements over how to handle the war, but said the nation was behind its troops.

"Of course, there will be debate, and of course, there will be some pessimists and some people playing politics with the issue," he said. "But, by far, the vast majority of the people in this country stand squarely with the men and women who wear the nation's uniform."

Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman called Dean's comments "outrageous."

"I think that it sends the wrong message to our troops, sends the wrong message to the Iraqi people -- who [on December 15] are going to vote in elections -- and it certainly sends the wrong message to the enemy," he said.
Once again, I'm very glad to see the President responding to his critics, rather than allowing them to go unchallenged.

To read Dean's remarks, visit here.