A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Saturday, November 05, 2005

Happy Guy Fawkes Day

Today, England celebrates Guy Fawkes Day. All round the country, people will have bonfires, fireworks and celebrations in commemoration of the famous Gunpowder Plot of 1605. This year is, obviously, the 400th anniversary.

To learn more about Guy Fawkes and his Plot to blow up Parliament, visit Guy Fawkes and Bonfire Night.

AFP: Britain marks 400 years since Gunpowder Plot

BBC: The Gunpowder Plot, with time lines, links, articles, games (including this one), kings and queens, and more.

Guy Fawkes Day with history, traditions, chants, recipes, links, and more.

John Derbyshire, an Englishman who lives in the United States and works for National Review, has a column about it titled Fifth of November.

Bonfire Night Recipes

The Scrap Album: Guy Fawkes Day

Rituals for Guy Fawkes Day

Guy Fawkes Day Sayings and Chants

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...