A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Saturday, November 05, 2005

Tally Ho!

Reuters: English hunts ride out despite ban on dogs---

LONDON (Reuters) - Hundreds of hunts rode out on Saturday to mark the start of the fox-hunting season in England and Wales, in spite of a ban on hunting with dogs.

About 200 hunts exploited loopholes in the government's Hunting Act, which came into force in February, to remain within the law.

Some hunts took a hawk or other hunting bird with them as a way around the ban which still lets hounds chase and flush out foxes as long as they do not kill them.

The riders of the South Durham Hunt took an eagle to their meet in Prime Minister Tony Blair's constituency of Sedgefield in northeast England.

"According to the regulations you are allowed to put a pack of hounds into a wood, so that the bird can hunt the vermin that comes out the other side, be it fox, gray squirrel or whatever," said Mark Shotton, the South Durham Hunt's master.

Shotton said they had been practicing with the bird for a month.

The pro-hunting Countryside Alliance said public support for the ban had fallen to 45 percent, compared with 63 percent in 1999, citing a specially commissioned survey.
On with the hunt!

More: Sky News: Both Sides Claim Victory (with photos)