A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, October 21, 2005

The Battle of Trafalgar

21 October 1805, off Cape Trafalgar,

The English Royal Navy, under the command of Horatio, Admiral Lord Nelson, hero of the Battle of the Nile, aboard his ship, HMS Victory, battles the combined French and Spanish fleets, navy of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Trafalgar marks one of the greatest naval battles of all time. Nelson was his usual brilliant self and, while snatching victory from the French, lost his life for his country. The victory ensured Napoleon would never invade England and devastated the Emperor's naval capabilities. The Royal Navy took 18 French/Spanish vessels and lost none of its own.

Read the story here and here.

Previous Posts:

How Dare the British Have Won?
A Question About Trafalgar Square
Nelson Remembered
Extraordinary
News of Nelson
Quote of the Day
Nelson-Fever
Better to Fight