A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Thursday, October 20, 2005

Nelson-Fever

BBC: Britain marks Battle of Trafalgar---

Thousands of people will mark the 200th anniversary of Nelson's victory over Napoleon at Cape Trafalgar on Friday, with celebrations throughout Britain.

At 1845 BST, the Queen will light the first of 1,000 beacons around the country, at HMS Victory in Portsmouth.

First Sea Lord, Admiral Sir Alan West, said he was amazed how the anniversary had "gripped the spirit of Britain".

The 1805 battle, in which Britain beat France and Spain, is seen as having established British supremacy at sea.

"It's almost a Nelson-fever going on," Sir Alan said, adding: "Nelson is a hero to every Navy in the world."

Lord Nelson was killed during the battle by a French marksman.

Royal Navy ships' bells will mark the battle's start at noon, with more than 6,000 other events over the weekend.

After lighting the beacon, the Queen will attend a dinner in the great cabin of HMS Victory - Lord Nelson's ship - and her toast to the naval hero will be broadcast live.

As well as a host of such formal activities, there will be thousands of small-scale events, ranging from celebratory breakfasts, to parades, concerts and fireworks spectaculars.

The events will end on Sunday with a parade in London's Trafalgar Square, before church bells peal throughout the UK to commemorate those who died in maritime conflict.
Such beautiful celebrations. I do so wish I could attend.

Previous Posts:

How Dare the British Have Won?
A Question About Trafalgar Square
Nelson Remembered
Extraordinary
News of Nelson
Quote of the Day