A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Saturday, September 10, 2005

It's ok to be a Liberal

AP: Roberts May Be Sidelined in Some Cases---

WASHINGTON - John Roberts is an appeals court judge with a multimillion-dollar portfolio, a spouse who is a successful lawyer and a broad roster of clients from his days in private practice.

Those all mean he probably will have to disqualify himself from dozens of Supreme Court cases should he become chief justice. It is an situation that, while not unusual, would leave the nine-member court with a potential for tie votes.
Ruth Ginsburg was "the ACLU's General Counsel from 1973-1980, and on the National Board of Directors from 1974-1980." Does she recuse herself from all cases that deal with the ACLU?

Tom Daschle's wife was a lobbyist for the airline industry. Did that stop him from voting for airline bills?

Why are only Conservatives required to recuse themselves? Liberals seem to think that they, and they alone, are able to be completely impartial and fair, though we all know how completely far that is from the truth. Liberals believe truth is relative and everything can count, unless that thing is conservative. Then it is just wrong.