A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Thursday, September 08, 2005

Selfishness

MSNBC.com:
I can tell you that last Wednesday evening on Canal Street in New Orleans, we asked members of the Federal Protective Service to "cover" our location... as we found ourselves necessarily bathed in television lights (the only light for blocks in that part of the city) for a live, hour-long "Dateline" broadcast.

I can tell you that on that very same day, the situation in the French Quarter was so dire (and fears of smash-and-grab carjackers so prevalent) that troopers with the Louisiana State Police offered to "cover" us, with muzzles pointed at people standing in waist-deep water in the street, as we pulled out of a hotel in a rental SUV with three passengers... and flood water coming up and over the hood.

On those long, dark and early nights of the unfolding crisis... with no power and rising water in the Quarter... the law enforcement officers who we saw there were the picture of courage and personal sacrifice. They were hot, they were tired and they had no option but to consider everyone (who wasn't displaying obvious media, relief agency or law enforcement markings) a possible threat.
Brian, how dare you ask the military/members of the police to divert their attention from important things just so you can give your little reports. Not only that, but these men are tired. They work long, hard days and your asking them for such a favor is very selfish. Imagine what crimes might be going on while you blather on. What about the food and supplies that aren't delivered because the men needed to protect the caravans are standing guard for you.

The Bill of Rights might give the press freedom, but it doesn't give you the right to safety while you are doing your vaunted "duty." You have to provide that for yourself. Anything else is selfish.