A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, September 02, 2005

Behind the Scenes of the Relief Effort

Take a look at post "The Cigar Intelligence Agency."

Just thought I'd let you know about a few things going on BEHIND the scenes in the hurricane relief effort. As you may know, I'm located in Shreveport, Louisiana. For the geographically-deprived among you who suffered from a liberal education, that's the NW corner of the state, far removed from New Orleans.

There are currently three "official" shelter sites in town housing over 15,000 refugees, and another new shelter just opening in the CenturyTel arena across the river in Bossier City that will be able to accomodate several thousand more. There has also been some discussion of the construction of a "tent city" on the west side of town.

Relief supplies are pouring into Barksdale AFB. Hundreds of semi-trucks of food, water and other supplies are congregating on the base, with a line over a mile long of trucks waiting to clear security at the base's East gate, which is closed to all but FEMA traffic. We've had a steady stream of C-130 cargo aircraft going back and forth between Barksdale and New Orleans all day.
Make sure you read the rest.