A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Friday, September 02, 2005

Hurricane Katrina: Blogging for Relief Day 2

If you haven't already, please read my "Hurricane Katrina: Blogging for Relief Day 1" post from yesterday, which you can find here.

You can find a list of all the blogs joining in and where the bloggers recommend donating here.

I recommend Catholic Charities.

New Orleans is a huge Catholic city. If the people decide to rebuild there, they are going to need their churches and their Catholic schools. I went to Catholic school all my life and they are very special places. I want those kids to have the same special experience I had. If we don't donate, they can't rebuild.

I know the American Red Cross is a worthy organization. If you prefer, donate there. They will take care of so much of the food, water, and housing.

Salvation Army is also a wonderful organization.

If you have donated, please head over to TTLB and log your contribution. You can also find a list of other blogs joining in the Blogging for Relief.

We're not asking for much. People give what they can. If we all give $5.00, instead of having that Starbuck's one morning this week, imagine all the money we can raise.

These people in New Orleans, in Mississippi, and around the Gulf have almost nothing left.

They have no toilets, no fridges, no cars, no clothes, no food, no water, no beds, nothing.

If you flushed your toilet today, please donate.

If you got food out of your fridge and ate it, please donate.

If you drove your car and went shopping or out to a movie, please donate.

If you put on fresh clothes from your closet this morning, please donate.

If you went grocery shopping or didn't finish your meal, please donate.

If you drank a glass of water, please donate.

If you got out of your nice warm bed this morning and plan to get back into it this night, please donate.

We have to help these poor, devastated people. They are our fellow Americans. If we can donate money for people around the world, we can certainly help our own brothers and sisters.

Please, please, give up going to that movie or having a pizza or buying a new pair of jeans. Give to the relief effort. You will be saving a life.

And if you can't afford any money, please give with prayers.