A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Well, that's something, at least

Yahoo News: Bush Reiterates Stem Cell Study Position:

WASHINGTON - President Bush on Tuesday reaffirmed his opposition to any legislation that would allow more federal money to be spent on embryonic stem cell research.

"I am confident I have achieved the right balance between science and ethics," Bush said during a White House interview with reporters from eight newspapers.

The president's comments were his first on the subject since Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., reversed his position to support more federal dollars for stem cell research.

In 2001 Bush banned federal dollars for stem cell research beyond existing cell lines, although private groups have paid for some new research. A Senate bill would lift those restrictions.

"There are ethical dilemmas when it comes to science, and I think it's very important for a government to recognize those ethical dilemmas," Bush told the reporters. "The dilemma I was faced with was do I allow the destruction of life in order to advance science."
Well, perhaps the President "achieved the right balance between science and ethics," but not between science and God.

If President Bush hadn't allowed government funding for the existing embryonic stem cell research, he wouldn't be in this position now. But, at least he's standing up for his decision, instead of turning traitor like Bill Frist.