A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Monday, August 01, 2005

Confirm Judge Roberts

Go here to sign a petition to the US Senate, asking for a fair hearing for Judge Roberts, a fair up-or-down vote, and a full court by 3 October.

Here is information about the "Ginsburg Standard."

Here is an exerpt:

* In 1993, Senator Joseph Biden chaired Supreme Court confirmation hearings for Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and he established important rules for questioning nominees that some of his fellow Democrats seem to have conveniently forgotten. During those hearings , Biden said that Ginsburg's credentials and public record should be reviewed, but that she had no obligation to answer questions about her personal views on issues that might come before the Court.

* Indeed, the Senate Judiciary Committee gave Ginsburg a pass on questions about homosexual rights, school choice, the establishment of religion, rights for Native Americans, the death penalty, civil rights laws, and many others.

* Ginsburg's record as an ACLU litigator was far from the mainstream of American law. She argued for legalizing prostitution, against separate prisons for men and women, and had speculated that there could be a constitutional right to polygamy. During her confirmation hearing, some Republican senators wanted to know whether she continued to hold such extreme views. Question after question, she refused to answer.

* Despite her silence on so many hot-button issues, the Senate confirmed Ginsburg by a vote of 93-3. Call this the "Ginsburg Standard."