A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Thursday, August 25, 2005

Say a prayer for Charlotte

I don't really know much about this story---I just stumbled upon it, though I might have heard about it before.

From England:

The parents of seriously-ill Charlotte Wyatt have vowed to fight on despite losing their latest bid to overturn a court order allowing doctors not to resuscitate the 22-month-old if she stops breathing.

Darren Wyatt, 33, and his wife, Debbie, 24, who have been told by the hospital treating their daughter that she has made "remarkable progress", failed on Thursday to persuade the Court of Appeal the order should now be rescinded.

Doctors at St Mary's Hospital in Portsmouth won the legal right last October not to resuscitate Charlotte after arguing that her brain and other organs were so seriously damaged she had "no feeling other than continuing pain".

In April this year, Charlotte's parents failed to have the October judgment overturned, leading to Thursday's proceedings.

After a full-day hearing, Lords Justices Laws, Wall and Lloyd rejected the couple's appeal.

But the judges said a review of the case ordered by Mr Justice Hedley should be "accelerated", with a directions hearing next month.

Mr Wyatt vowed to fight on, telling the Daily Mail: "It is quite possible that by the time the legal review comes around Charlotte will be well enough to go home, and the hospital will end up looking very silly.

"Meanwhile we have this death sentence hanging over her.

"When the High Court made the original ruling last year, they said it would be wrong to resuscitate Charlotte because of her quality of life. But now the doctors accept her quality of life has improved, so why have they not lifted the order."
What a horrible thing! Imagine the doctors, who are supposed to be helping your daughter, telling you they won't even resucitate her---even though she has gotten better!

You can find more information over at Blogs for Terri, a wonderful blog, and The Charlotte Wyatt blogspot.

Say some prayers for the Wyatt family!