A Lady's Ruminations

"Jane was firm where she felt herself to be right." -Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

I'm also a usually quiet, reserved Lady, who enjoys books, tea, baking, and movies! I spend most of my time reading one of my favorite books or wishing I was reading my favorite books. My Grand Passion is history, particularly the Regency Period in England, when Jane Austen wrote, Lord Nelson defeated the French Fleet at Trafalgar, the Duke of Wellington defeated Napoleon, and men were Gentlemen and women Ladies. I cherish the thought of being a Lady and love manners, being proper, and having proper tea. My favorite tea is Twinings, especially Earl Grey or Prince of Wales. My specialty to make is Scones with Devon Cream. I am a Catholic and a Conservative.


Saturday, August 13, 2005

Exactly

USA Today Op-Ed: Constitutions, Iraqi or U.S., aren't built in a day:

Establishing a new and democratic government is never easy. In the USA, nearly two decades passed between the 13 colonies' first hesitant efforts at working together to resist British colonial oppression and the wary ratification of the Constitution, followed by the Bill of Rights. And that was achieved only through painful compromises on power-sharing and shamefully kicking the most divisive issue - slavery - down the road.

Iraq is a patchwork of ethnic and religious divisions, stitched together under British occupation after the collapse of the Ottoman Empire. Its people have never known real democracy, only a succession of authoritarian regimes in which most power was exercised by members of the Sunni minority.
Liberals seem to think we have failed because Iraq isn't on par with the United States two years after Saddam's fall. When will they learn?